Saturday, January 7, 2012

Might as well buy a crib...oh wait I'm broke.

The National Association of Realtors has put out the Housing Affordability Index since the early 1980's. The higher the index value the more able a household earning the median income is able to purchase and make mortgage payments on a home.


Measures the degree to which a typical family can afford the monthly mortgage payments on a typical home. 
Value of 100 means that a family with the median income has exactly enough income to qualify for a mortgage on a median-priced home. An index above 100 signifies that family earning the median income has more than enough income to qualify for a mortgage loan on a median-priced home, assuming a 20 percent down payment. For example, a composite housing affordability index (COMPHAI) of 120.0 means a family earning the median family income has 120% of the income necessary to qualify for a conventional loan covering 80 percent of a median-priced existing single-family home. An increase in the COMPHAI then shows that this family is more able to afford the median priced home.
As you can see now, the 2007 Recession has clearly brought homes to their all time most affordable levels.  If I had cash I might buy a home right now, but i don't and the 14 million unemployed or so don't either.  Womp.



What a value of around 195 means is that a family earning a median income has 195% of the income necessary to qualify for a conventional loan covering 80 percent of a median-priced existing single-family home.  By historical standards never has it been the best and worst time to buy a home. The best opportunity, under the worst circumstances.  

Keep dancin'

Steven J.


11 comments:

  1. Interesting post!! I really like this site, and hope you will write more, thanks for your information.

    for ex-patriot Australia home loan click here

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome for me to have a site, which is valuable in support of my know-how. thanks admin
    Also visit my website : private krankeversicherung

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just
    curious if you get a lot of spam responses? If so how
    do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
    I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.
    Feel free to visit my web site : cheap tybee island vacation rentals

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attractive component of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to claim that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your weblog posts.
    Any way I'll be subscribing to your augment or even I achievement you get right of entry to constantly rapidly.
    Here is my site - a loan with bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola! I've been following your website for a long time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the excellent job!

    Here is my page :: krankenkasse privat versichern
    Also visit my webpage ;

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey superb blog! Does running a blog such as this require a massive amount work?

    I've virtually no understanding of programming however I was hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, if you have any recommendations or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off topic but I simply had to ask. Thanks a lot!
    Here is my weblog google seo company

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess you can say the home real estate business is not the best place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this post and the rest of the website is also
    really good.
    Also visit my web blog ... business start up

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I would like to subscribe for this blog to take most up-to-date updates,
    so where can i do it please help out.

    my page: click through the following page

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure exactly why but this web site is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later and
    see if the problem still exists.

    Feel free to visit my web-site - mouse click the following web page - www.cpp.metolit.by

    ReplyDelete
  11. I appreciate, lead to I discovered just what I used to be having a look for.
    You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man.
    Have a great day. Bye

    Here is my website ... Recommended Resource Site

    ReplyDelete